Wednesday, June 11, 2008

That Shot you get by Accident

Very often when photographing, you get shots by accident, or details in photographs that you love but didn't know you were taking when you took the photograph. this is one of the fun things about photography...you're taking a picture of a tree by the lake, and fail to notice the awesome reflection until later. it shows you new things about your life that you might not have seen otherwise. (in the photo below: when taking this, i had completely forgotten that she was holding a dandelion puff!)

A few days ago, at work, one of the people in the office asked me to help them out with the monthly lincoln newsletter that comes out from the president to doners. she needed help laying the format and finding a good cover picture. the subject of the newsletter was trains and railroads, so one of my jobs was to scour the ready-print archives for a photo of lincoln with a train, mississippi railroad, or the lincoln IL train station. I couldn't find any of those things, and in the end settled on a train that was from around 1865. i told my boss what to expect, and he said "that's fine if that's what you can find." I was a little sad when he said this cause it took me an afternoon to find this print, but he seemed fine with it, so i didn't dive back into the archives.

it's a good thing i didn't!

at the end of the day yesterday, after all the interns but me had left, my boss came into the "intern pit" to find me sending off an email to one of my friends about photos of natives that i had been looking at in the archives. It was kinda a bad moment, not because i was emailing, but because the moment had been an emotional one. but whatever - that's a story for a different entry.

he asked me if i had done a lot of walking around the in the museum. I answered no, to which he said "whenever you're bored, you have a whole museum you know!" this made me happy :-)

so all the exhibits were closed at this point, and some of the lights were off, and walking around when the lights are off with the president of the museum who wants to show you something is kinda cool.

then all of a sudden, i saw it.

the museums most famous artifact - a train engine, the exact same one that i had found a print of. I couldn't have done a better job choosing.

in other news, my roommate probably has the flu, and saturday i'm doing a beauty day with the girls...haircuts, makeovers at macy's (which has like tiffanni stained glass windows and other seriously beautiful things), and shopping. yum! also last night i made peanut chicken, but one thing i didn't count on was the marinade burning in the pan...making lots of smoke...no smoke alarms went off, but i was panicking a little. till i tried some and realized that the chicken now has a smokey peanut flavor! delicious!

5 comments:

Dane said...

Hah! A day full of delightful accidents.

Last night, there was a big, beautiful thunderstorm with near-constant lighting (it was like a strobe light!). My housemates and I sat out on the (covered) porch and watched gleefully, cheering with every cool breeze that came through. It's been over 100 for the last few days, and we have no AC. How was the tornado watch?

Carly said...

You know how almost all of my pictures are accidental. I took them on purpose, but I don't premeditate them or anything. It works for me, but I don't have such a huge output.
If I ate chicken, I would want to try that. :P

Anonymous said...

what I wouldn't do for a cookbook.... :-) I might know some of the less fun surprises in advance (fire!!)
and enjoy the outcomes even more..!

You look and u look and think you see it all, and sure enough there are always surprises... Some Fabulous! some not so great.. but without surprises it gets to be too dull...

Glad to hear its going well, girls day out.. sound like a movie... :-)
YLD,

Jules said...

A very happy posting! yay Liora! btw, I LOVE Tiffany Stained Glass Windows, saw them once at a place I don't recall years ago. The whole effect of stained glass really intrigues me, it's the only reason I ever go to church when I do (which, by now, is hardly ever).

I told Jess to read your blog, she seemed interested in reading. I'll ask her about again soon.

And I love the way the titles of your posts all have these terms that you connect to your expiriences, the idea is so inspired, yay you!

Dane said...

Hi from Looneybin! All the 50+'s are hanging out on the pier, and I'm making an Oscar's snack. Tami's crew is swinging up tonight, sans Bear, and we get to celebrate fathers and birthdays, belated and early. Huzzah.

Miss you. I really wish you were here.