Monday, June 2, 2008

Learning Cues


In portrait and spontaneous photography, it's important to understand cues from people. In portrait photography, it's important to read into the cues that the subject is giving you so that you know what kind of mood there in, what might make them relax a little more if they're tense, what to say to give them confidence, etc. In a spontaneous photograph, people and wildlife alike, it's important to read cues from your surroundings in order to truly capture the moment that the subject is living. It takes time and practice to learn these cues, and they differ from situation to situation.

tonight, after a long days work and a superfast dinner, my roommate and I boarded the brown line and headed for the southport stop. from there we walked into a residential area, and into someone's house, where there happened to be a small, informal dance studio. well, not happened. we knew there would be a studio, we just didn't know it would be residential.

in this dance studio, we took a belly dance class, American tribal style. it was so awesome. even though my body is SO going to hate me in probably an hour or two (i'm already feeling it) I also feel amazing right now. I haven't danced in a really long time, and my body is telling me that i need to do more of it. so i bought i five class pass.

in American tribal style belly dance, i knew already that much of it was improvisation, set off by a leader giving the other dancers physical cues as to what she (or he - but way more often than not she) was going to do next. We learned a few, and just danced and danced and danced for an hour.

my body says: "this is good!" by aching in muscles i haven't used in a few years. my teacher says: "shimmy your shoulders!" by shaking her hips.

3 comments:

Dane said...

YAY!!

I'm wicked sad, because I can't do this week's class with Donna (my back is still sketchtastic), but I'm glad you found an ATS class - I've been thinking that I might do ATS once I leave. It seems respectful and on point, y'know? Not like "Hot To Trot Bellydance."

But, y'know, expressing a little sexy while you're at it.

Also, tip for you: get a tennis ball, and lie on it after class. Pay special attention to your lower back, and under your shoulderblades. Then roll over and stick that ball right between your hip socket and the floor. You'll groan hard, but it goes such a long way towards reaching those tight spots.

Jules said...

I love the blog, keep it up!

Oh and I'll make sure to make Jess read it. Well, not make, Jess would probably read on her own accord anyway :)

Anonymous said...

I just got through reading all your blogs and I am astounded at this literary/photographic capacity of yours! Whoever would have suspected that? And now you are still adding the performing ATS aspect! I am speechless, and so is my better half!
We really enjoyed your description of your first day at work, has your boss returned the edited report? Can't wait for the next issue of the blog. We love it!
LYGP&GM