Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Teaching Photography


I am mostly a self-taught photographer with help from my father, teaching me things about aperture and shutter speed (and most recently flash, landscape photography, and how not to lean on a tripod when taking night pictures). I've only had two official courses in photography which were last semester...one digital (documentary photography) and one darkroom (photo 1). I got good grades in both, and spent a large majority of my time either shooting, digitally editing, or darkrooming it up. my hands had a permanent smell of darkroom on them.

teaching art is difficult. no one can say something is good or bad, but more "well composed," or, "the technical aspects of this work are really sound." things like that. With other subjects, like math, something is right or wrong (or sometimes, partially right) but with photography or art things get very very difficult. can't insult the student's work, gotta build the confidence, but also have to show them how to use their tools, give them space to experiment (most good things come by accident), but also give them spaces to jump off of. I have been in a few art classes (currently in 2!) and all teachers have a different approach.

For the study abroad program I'm in, all the students have to be involved in both community service and local clubs, to help us become integrated in the community, as well as help our colloquial french continue to improve (nothing like a bit of practice, eh?). My club is going to be tribal style belly dance lessons (beginning tonight!) and my community service...well...that's the story of this entry.

A few weeks ago, we were all given a list of potential community service listings, and a few positions landed at a local catholic high school, sacred heart (lycee sacre coeur). The positions were helping in some after school clubs there, among which were theater, dance, and photo. I jumped at the opportunity to help in a photo club, and i was placed there. The first class was supposed to be next week, but the woman in charge of the clubs (and also, the teacher of the dance class) wanted to meet with me so that she could talk to me about what to expect, change the night of the club, and show me around. So she showed up at AUCP yesterday to give me the tour.

while we were talking, she kept asking me about my experience in the field, and what things were neccessary in order to run an adequate darkroom. I was a little confused about why she wasn't asking these questions to the teacher, and instead to me, so I thought maybe I was missing something in translation.

"euh, je suis desolee, mais j'ai un question." (um, i'm sorry, i have a question)
"je t'ecoute." (I'm listining :-) )
"Est-ce que je suis le prof? ou est-ce que je suis un assistant, ou quoi?" (Am I the teacher? or am i an assistant, or what?)
"Oh, tu est le prof pour ce club. Est-ce que ca ce bien?" (Oh, you're the teacher, is that okay?)
"Oh, oui, bien sur!" (oh, yes, of course!) ::inner panic hidden::

so...now i'm teaching photography to a few high schoolers for about 2 hours every tuesday before my belly dancing class. WHOA. I'm really excited, but also incredably nervous. My french isn't that good, and with photography vocabulary...it's all a little overwhelming at this point. After I found this out and the meeting was over, i raced back to AUCP (my school) to shoot off a few panicked emails to fellow photography students asking for advice, and called dad. he didn't seem to sense the panic.

I see that this is a golden opportunity, and I intend to make the best of it that I can. I'm going to prograssively take them through things, making results for a show at the end of the year. while balancing classwork, clubs, and vacation planning. oh lord.

other things are pretty good. Marie Claire has got a cold, which doesn't bode well for me, but i've been giving her zinc and assorted oils, which she says helps a lot. Classwork is getting better, and yom kippur starts tomorrow evening (i got an excused absence for thursday. HAH.)

hope everyone had a lovely week of repentance, and I wish all an easy fast. Bonne Chance! A bientot! ( good luck! see you soon!)

ps: i saw a dior ad. looked really similar to my photo. see shots below.

4 comments:

Dane said...

Wow! You lucky, lucky dog. I think this business of clubs and community service is a really good one - most of my good memories of Prague are from the bdance classes I took there. Just remember that the teaching styles are radically different for dance, just like they are in the classroom! At least you'll be able to understand the teacher when she talks to you!

Seriously though, I remember finding a poetry reading once in Prague and feeling guilty because it was part of the expat scene and not "Czech enough" whatever that means. Wasn't Prague supposed to be about new and exciting experiences?

Sure, but abandoning everything that gives you happiness ain't exactly the way to go about it. I'm glad you're getting to teach, and to dance. I think your body and your mental state will thank you for it.

Ps. Check your mail today.

Love,
~D

Anonymous said...

Wow - things are starting to look up! Good luck with the class - have you found a list of photography terms in French somewhere? I know you'll make it fun and a good learning experience for the kids.
And I hope that you love your bd class!
Have an Easy Fast and enjoy the "differentness" of the services you go to! Can't wait to hear about new traditions for Break Fast... fish heads etc...
Much love, and see you next month, YVLM

Anonymous said...

To teach is also to learn again through the eyes of others, you get to see and act out what you know and to learn from others as they take from you and develop themselves... No need to panic, you can be a good leader, you really want to be one.
Have an easy fast and I know the services will be different, I hope you enjoy them too (meeting new people and socializing after introspection :-)

YLD

Anonymous said...

When you teach you have to force yourself to be a little better than the students, so you always improve yourself somewhat beyond the point where you are starting, so this way you are assured that both sides, teacher and student are improving, a true win-win situation! And sometimes teaching has quite unexpected and wonderful results!
Congratulations, and hope you had a great fast, and Shanah Tovah!

Love you very much, GP&GM