Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tripods

Tripods. A photographer's lifesaver in low lighting and long exposures. By keeping the camera steady, a tripod allows a photographer to create cool effects like shooting night scenes, or allowing lots of motion to get in an image...for all those familiar with the effect of a cars tail-lights and headlights becoming straight lines in photos (ex: http://www.digital-photography-tips.net/images/kl-night-time.jpg) this look, popularized by the Hedrich Blessing co. in Chicago (learn something new everyday), can only be made nicely with the aid of a tripod.

the first part of the word, tri, alludes to the three legs which support the camera.

I feel like there are three parts to my life right now - i have work at the museum, social life with the kemper folks and others, and then I have my photography work - I didn't really expect to have any photo work while here, but that sure has changed.

at pride, while cramed on the subway, my roommate nudges me and tells me that there's a gorgeous woman sitting behind me. I manage (somehow) to maneuver so I can see her, and indeed, she is gorgeous. Gathering up courage (and assuming she's on the way to pride herself) i tell her my name and ask whether it would be alright if we got off on the same stop and I took her photo. She agreed, and i took two quick shots and got her email to send them to her. I emailed her the photos, which came out better than expected due to crazy crowded streets and mobs due to pride, and she emailed me back asking whether i did portraits for pay.

do i ever.

we now have a shoot organized - a paying shoot. my second.

right after that, my roommate tells me that a friend of hers had looked at photos that i had taken of her, and needing headshots, asked for my contact information to schedule a shoot with me.

also, a more professional photo website should be appearing in the near future.

so yea. i think i'm doing pretty well right now in terms of that leg of my tripod-y life.

work at the museum, for the second leg, is going okay. Work is seriously slowing down which is a problem, because I'm often left with either nothing to do, or things that i can only due in small increments (such as sitting in the research center for hours looking up photos - which even for me can get tedious...i swear i know every single line in Abe Lincoln's face now. he's my second boyfriend). I think it'll pick up again though - tomorrow i'm helping at an event and one of my main jobs is to photograph the event. nooooo issues there.

for the third leg, fun with kemper kids, I think that's also going okay. I actually hang out more with non-kemper folks than i do with kemper folks, not because of anything bad, but they're more who i fell in with. I have close kemper friends, but we're all so tired at the end of the day i feel like we never see eachother except on weekends. it's weird, but okay. I'm happy, so it doesn't really bug me. and kemper folks always chill on the weekends. Also, i've been feeling a little stressed out about this france thing. but i guess that's to be expected. I'm leaving on Sept. 2nd, for all those who want to know. on Air India. they better serve me curry. :-p

so that's my life right now. how're you all doing?
...you know you don't need an account to comment, right? :-p

1 comment:

Dane said...

*sings to the tune of Seasons of Love*

measure...measure your life in...TRIPOD!!

I like the tripod as a frame. Neat. And please please PLEASE post those self-portraits, like, ASAP.

In other news, half of my kids speak fluent French. Adorable!