Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Technology


Photography is all about technology. From its inception in the industrial revolution, the development of photography has been about refining the camera and the film's technology. All this refining has led to sharper, more exact images, faster film (ability to shrink shutter speed from minutes to 100's of a second), digital cameras, photoshop and other types of digital post-processing...the list goes on and on.

in case you didn't know yet, my internet is finally set up. yay technology!

not having the internet has made me feel so out of touch with the city - now i can go online and search for cultural events happening, stay up-to-date with my friends, make plans...all this was possible without internet of course, through phone calls and newspapers, but newspapers can get out of date, people don't always pick up the phone, time differences, etc. The internet is a really important tool (and time waster extrodinare!) for me, and I'm glad to happen. Like taking photos in film and digital...it's like comparing apples to oranges. they're both fruit, but very different types.

hopefully this means that I won't be hit on by the argo tea guy anymore ;-)

more updates when I have some :-p

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA!!!
Glad it worked out
How's the rest of life?

Anonymous said...

You do look happy now!
love,
yvlm

Dane said...

Hey! I just noticed you were writing again, and I wanted to comment on a few entries back - the bit about home stuff.

Recently, it occurred to me: you and I never saw the apartments our dad grew up in. And in some ways, I feel like I know less of that family's history because of it. Houses collect stuff (as we've all discovered!), become their own disheveled archives, their own external hard drives of a sort. Who needs to actually remember the story of my chomping on the windowsill while the bite marks remain visible? Who needs to remember "The terror is, all promises are kept," when you see the words every time you walk out the front door? etc. etc.

As for the bit about your own need for a Harry Potter penseive - isn't that your photographs? Isn't it my journals, dad's albums, mom's datebooks (which are works of organizational art in themselves)? Don't we surround ourselves with our memories and our stories with every artistic thing we do?

Sorry if this was too poetic for you. Love.