Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nerves



Like when riding a horse, or dealing with nearly any situation, it is normally better to hide how scared you actually are during the situation, and, if appropriate, take control with confidence. At least, this is how i usually tend to act when i'm in a photoshoot with someone. It's very important, especially if the person is not used to being photographed, to help them, guide them, talk to them, and work with them through the shoot. if you're nervous and they know it, they get nervous, then the shot is ruined (usually) etc etc etc...you get the picture (HAHAHAPUN).

today i have a photoshoot with my dance professor Elodie. She is way cool...very very nice, obsessed with rachel brice (like me), and has dreadlocks down to her BUTT. I'm really looking forward to shooting her, but at the same time i'm very extreemely nervous. what happens if i choke on my french? what happens if i don't live up to my own expectations? what if the setting i found doesn't work out? what if, as a result of this shoot, she hates me forever? or what if it turns into a great friendship after this? what if????

edits as of Dec 3: PHOTOSHOOT WENT AMAZING. 200+ FRAMES IN AN HOUR. I DID NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS HAPPENING!! (you can see all the shots i saved/preliminary edits at this link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024544&l=f256e&id=35502054 )

sometimes i think nerves help me get the better shot. if i manage to deal with them and put them aside. for all those that know the story, sometimes i get into the "aleitheometer trance" and when i can, good photos. when i can't...i rely on the mediocraty of what i know. not on what i can do.

in other news, i got my first A the other day (woohoo!) and one of my henna drawings was chosen to be the motif for the invitation to the school's gallery and "soiree des jeunes talents" (evening of young talents)party. exciting!

this past weekend i went to paris and stayed with pierre, sylvie, and the girls. everything went well, and i had a good time, but it's also a little awkward. I know i really like the girls, but this is the first time i've ever been able to talk to them! and since vanessa is studying all the time, and alexandra mumbles a bit (hard for me to understand her) it just made it a little...more awkward. I found myself relying too much on what i knew instead of going with the flow. little strained. hope that'll change. We had dinner at Annette's place on saturday night with everyone. Stani told me that i grew up. i giggled, but maybe it's true.

this upcomming weekend i have plans with the welsley girls! good times await.

i can't wait to come home. I am very ready.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can use my own anxiety/fear/energy on a good day - to create a life changing experience for myself and someone else....
Amazing stuff!

Great news about your art work!!
send us a copy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your mix of photo-philosophy and story telling, can hardly wait for the next installment!!
LYP

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself! Keep up the positive vibes!

- tamgelb