Thursday, May 22, 2008

Props


What I notice most when i take photographs of people is that they do much better when there's a prop on hand. Be it a bebe gun, violin, lipstick, or what have you, people seem to be much more relaxed when there are "things" on hand. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be that they feel like there is a purpose to the prop - that they are not standing there making a model face for no reason, but there is something more happening within the shot when they interact with an object.

I think if one were to take this principle and apply it to everyday life, one would call the relaxed feeling around objects materialism. As in, the concept of "one needs things to relax." As in, "I had no business shirts, now I have three. I am much more relaxed now." or, "I had no proper shoes. Now I have a pair. I am much more relaxed about soon to be daily commute." It's really weird, but i think it's true. people are much more relaxed with things.

"I had no home, now I have a cardboard box. Life is better."
...I don't know about you, but if the above quote applied to me, I would certainly think so.

That's kinda what I see myself doing. I'm assembling props right now to make myself feel relaxed. Materialism, or pre-nesting? Necessities, or comfort items?

I know that in order to make a good first impression on my boss, i need to look presentable in the right dress code, be hygienic, confident, and capable. Isn't it true that to accomplish this appearance that I require the use of things? How many things?

Shopping has never seemed so existential as it does at this moment.

1 comment:

Dane said...

I love this post - both for the photo, and the writing.

I find myself in the opposite stage - I'm leaving the nest, and tossing things left and right as I go. I've always been a hoarder and a saver, but I felt a gigantic (almost giddy) relief when I realized how much of my clothing I was able and willing to give away.

I suppose the flipside sentiment to your post would be this:

"If I have it, I have to carry it."

That's what's guiding *my* life at this moment.