Thursday, August 7, 2008

Photos on the Web


As a photographer, it's really important to monitor your work if it's online. In this day and age, in the short years that i've been doing photography, i've heard of numerous outrageous cases of larger corporations and smaller ones alike (as well as bands and other groups and individuals) stealing art to use for their own purposes.

this is really worrying to me. it's so easy to steal art and use it and deny ever having stolen it. there's so much work out there, so much beautiful work, and yet it's regarded as "worthless." meaning no one is willing to pay for it.

to an artist that's a big insult. basically it's saying that "while i enjoy your work, i'm not willing to pay for it, because i don't think that i should have to when i can take it for no money at all."

where are the ethics here?

anyway, i'm thinking about all of this cause i'm in the process of uploading my website to the internet (all annoying problems with it aside) and i'm worried about people stealing my art. while it's certainly not as up to par as i consider some of my contemporaries work is, it is a worry to me. without the internet it's hard to book jobs to make money, but it also costs in more ways than one. it's a concern.

anyway, life in chi-town (chicago!) is closing out pretty well. my boss talked to me the other day and complimented me (a lot) in giving me a small verbal evaluation (writen evaluations to be seen in a few weeks) and i only have one day left. projects are finished out, been having a great time this past week just doing some shoots and having fun!

I'll be coming in on sunday night (hopefully) and i'm looking forward to the ren faire on the 17th. looking WAY forward to it actually.

other news - the belly dancing lessons this summer have gone super well - i love being challenged by the style, and using hip hop skills in new ways. the people are fantastic, and i wish i could continue with them, but unfortunately, chicago is a little far to travel from pennsylvania every week for class.

also - the kemper scholars made award certificates for each other. Mine reads:

"The citizens of kemperville enthusiastically award Liora K with the honor of MOST LIKELY TO PHOTOGRAPH THE PRESIDENT - UPON REQUEST" (the president, of course, being a fellow female scholar...it's her back up plan. her first plan is to be Supreme Court Justice.)

I also think my photography has improved a WHOLE lot over the past semester and summer...i'm happy with so much more of my work. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE CAMERA. by the way.

i'm curious...what do you guys think of this online epidemic of stealing art? where do you think the line is drawn between appreciation and theft?

1 comment:

Carly said...

I really hate that art stealing thing. It happens so much with minor art such as little pixels. I used to be really into that on a few forums and they were really strict about stealing other people's work. However, some people made websites and put other people's work on there for free use without crediting. I always credited people and things but the people who didn't always bothered me. Really, who spends time taking other people's things and putting them on a website when they can use their time to make their own? There are even some images that have become web-famous and no one knows who made them. ): I get sad cause then I want to know who did it so I can see their other things.